HerSpace recognises that women who have once or repeatedly experienced exploitation and abuse and whose “consent” has been silenced, are very likely to suffer from mental health distress.
HerHealing is a free counselling service that offers these women the opportunity to:
- Be introduced to a process that would allow them to experience safety and trust with a counsellor within a few sessions;
- Self-determine to begin therapeutic work with an active and informed consent;
- Choose the “pace” of counselling; and
- Set the recovery goals that they’d like to achieve in our framework of one or a maximum of two phases of trauma recovery (20 sessions each).
Following is our approach to recovery from experiences of trauma related to exploitation:
- We recognise that experiences of trauma affect our body, our emotions and our mind. Often, these experiences remain hidden and unrecognised, thus leading to the presentation of complex mental health “symptoms”.
- We carry a holistic approach towards reducing impacts of trauma for a woman in her physical, sexual and emotional wellbeing.
- We believe that the integration of experiences, along with the use of evidence-based psychotherapeutic interventions (such as expressive art, sensory regulation, movement-based integration and emotional regulation modalities), lead to recovery.
Our HerHealing counsellors, who are trained in psychotherapy, will collaboratively engage with women to help:
- Understand the effects of trauma in their daily functioning;
- Gain confidence to self-regulate their physical, sexual and emotional triggers;
- Build capacity to look at their experiences with pride and less shame or blame; and
- Strengthen their relationships.
Our counsellors are typically located throughout Melbourne, including the areas of Melbourne CBD, Fitzroy North, Carlton North and Brunswick.
The HerHealing service is also (during COVID-19 pandemic, exclusively) delivered via phone and video calls.
If you are interested in receiving HerHealing counselling service or referring a woman you are worried about, please fill out one of the following forms:
Once you submit the form, it will be sent to the HerPathway counsellor, who will get in touch with you as soon as possible.